Madhaviya Dhatuvrtti Index: Help
The following describes some of the technical details for using the
display of the Madhaviya Dhatuvrtti and Namadhatuvrtti Indices.
- sorting order:
The records are sorted on the hierarchical key composed of
the full root, the sense, the class, and the variant. The ordering
used for the full root and the sense is the Sanskrit alphabetic ordering usually found
in Sanskrit dictionaries and pedagogical texts: a,A,...,E,O,M,H,k,K,...,s,h.
- searching: The row of characters appearing above the
main tabular display facilitates searching for a particular root in the
display. A mouse click on one of the letters scrolls the display so
that the first root beginning with that letter will be displayed on the
first line of the table.
- display font choice:
The drop down menu, initially showing 'Devanagari Unicode', may be used to
change the way in which the Sanskrit elements in the display are
presented. Here is a brief expansion of the choices:
More information on data entry, display, and Sanskrit Fonts
- Devanagari Unicode: Devanagari script using Unicode encoding
- Roman Unicode: Roman script with diacritic marks using Unicode encoding
- KH: Kyoto-Harvard Romanized encoding
- SLP: Sanskrit Library Romanized encoding
- ITRANS: Indian Languages TRANSliteration ASCII meta-transliteration developed by Avinash Chopde
- display columns:
- full root: the Sanskrit root with its markers as it appears in the sutra of the text; markers preceding the root, if any, are shown in parentheses before the full root; the inflected preverb, if any, is shown in square brackets before the full root; a variant form of the root, if any, is shown in parentheses after the full root.
- root: the Sanskrit root
- marker: markers appended to the root, if any
- sense: the sense, as it appears in the text; for a few roots (see 'ava'), the truncation in the display of a very long sense is indicated by ° at the end of the sense display; a variant sense, if any, is shown in parentheses; an inferred sense, if any, is shown in square brackets.
- class: the present tense conjugational class, a number from 1 to 10.
- class name: the name of the present tense conjugational class, based upon the first root of the class.
- sutra: the number of the sutra containing the root within its class.
- page: the page number, or range of pages, in the text at which the discussion of the full root appears; this page is also a hyperlink to the image of the scanned page in the printed edition of the text.
- variant: when the root is identified as being due to an authority other than Panini, the variant field shows the abbreviation 'pA°' for 'pAWAntara'.
© 2009 The Sanskrit Library